Today I am doing a solo episode talking about how to eliminate distractions and always have the Spirit. This content was originally a devotional I wrote and presented at a recent girls camp. Feel free to use this episode as a resource to help you teach your older children or other youth.
Can You Hear the Music of the Spirit?
I shared a story told by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf about a violinist dressed in jeans who plays in a busy subway. Elder Uchtdorf uses this story to illustrate how we might miss the spirit in our life. The story shows why it’s important to slow down, eliminate distractions and always have the spirit with us.
What the Still Small Voice Sounds Like
These three scriptures help paint the picture of what the still small voice sounds like:
- 1 Kings 19:11-12 – Elijah hears the voice of the Lord as he hiding because Jezebel wants to kill him.
- 3 Nephi 11:3 – The Nephites have just gone through great destruction. They hear God’s voice introducing the Savior.
- Helaman 5:30 – Nephi and Lehi are imprisoned and fire encircles them. The earth shakes and the people hear a voice.
Ways You Might Feel the Spirit
I shared 9 possible ways (and there are many more) you might feel the Spirit. You can read the accompanying scriptures and ponder on whether you feel the Spirit in this way.
- Feelings of love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faith, meekness (see Galatians 5:22–23)
- Thoughts that occupy the mind or press on your feelings (see D&C 128:1)
- A desire to do good and obey the commandments (see Mosiah 5:2)
- A feeling that something is right (see D&C 9:8)
- Feelings of comfort (see John 14:26)
- Feelings that “enlarge [your] soul” (Alma 32:28)
- Thoughts that “enlighten [your] understanding” (Alma 32:28)
- A hunger for more truth (see Alma 32:28)
- Feeling constrained (encouraged) to take an action or restrained (held back) from doing something (see 1 Nephi 7:15; 2 Nephi 32:7)
(This article for youth on the church website that was the source for this list.)
The Constant Influence of the Holy Ghost
In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.President Russell M. Nelson
I talked about a time in my life where I learned the importance of eliminating distractions that were keeping me from the influence of the Holy Ghost.
How to hear the Holy Ghost and Eliminate Distractions
Here are some questions you can ask yourself.
What are the distractions that are keeping me from the still small voice in my life?
How can I eliminate those distractions?
The sacrament prayers give us clues of how we can eliminate distractions in our life.
See the prayers in D&C 20 verses 77 and 79.
“Always” Have His Spirit
“Always” is a promise we are given. I looked up the definition in the dictionary and it said this: “at all times, forever, at any rate, in any event.” Then the dictionary listed the synonyms to the word always: consistently, constantly, continually, ever, forever, incessantly, invariably, night and day, perpetually, unfailing.
I shared another quote from President Nelson: “Does God really want to speak to you? Yes!”
How to Listen
Listen to the BYU Devotional by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Can You Hear the Music.
Go to Episode 44: Use God as a Guide to learn more about how to discover how you feel the spirit.